Thursday, August 4, 2011

Taylor back with Dolphins for third time

Jason Taylor says he will return to the Miami Dolphins, where he was a star player for 12 years, for a third time after leaving twice under a cloud.

During his two previous tenures with the Dolphins, Taylor had a stormy relationship with Bill Parcells when Parcells became head coach in 2007, The Miami Herald reported Tuesday. Parcells didn't appreciate Taylor's off-field activities, such as his appearance on "Dancing with the Stars," and demanded Taylor focus more on football during the off-season, the report said.

Taylor left Miami for a season with the Redskins, then returned for a year, then left for a year with the Jets.

Now he's back where he started in a move he said was unexpected.

"I was surprised," the NFL's 2006 Defensive Player of the Year said. "I didn't expect it. I didn't think the Dolphins would be one of those teams [to call] ... Things happen for a reason."

Taylor, 36, acknowledges he's going to be expected to fill a different role this time around.

"I'm here to be a reserve," Taylor said. "I understand how old I am. I've got a lot of miles. I'm here to help scratch where it itches, help whatever spot I can play to help this team be successful. It's not about playing time or generating stats.

"This is about winning football games."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...